Our preschool program provides full-time care for children from 3 to 5 years old.
We provide lunch and two snacks daily to our preschoolers. Our lunches are made from scratch every day on-site, and follow the nutrition guidelines outlined by the Government of Nova Scotia. You can see those guidelines here.
A typical day at our Centre gives preschoolers developmentally appropriate activities that help nurture their cognition, socialization, self-care, communication, gross and fine motor skills, self-awareness, and self-esteem.
A typical day in our preschool room:
- The day starts with drop-off and play time.
- Around 9:30 am, we have snack time.
- Around 10 am, if weather permits, we head out for a walk. We are lucky to be located within walking distance of three local playgrounds, and though we do have a play area on-site, we visit our local playgrounds almost every day! We’ll also go out exploring around the duck pond, looking at seasonal decorations, or sliding in the snow. We ask that your child comes well prepared for walking and cooler weather.
- Once we’re back at the daycare, we have lunch, and then nap time.
- After nap time we have a snack, and we often go outdoors again. We also have craft time, story time, and “circle time”, where we learn our letters and numbers, talk about the calendar and weather, and sing songs and rhymes. Our preschoolers also learn together by taking regular trips to the local library at Alderney Landing, and having “show and share” each Friday.
- During warmer weather, our preschoolers have longer outings at least once a week. These might include a picnic, a bus or ferry ride, or a trip to a new playground.
Ways we promote your preschooler’s development:
- Caring and positive support and learning from long-term staff
- Nutritionally sound lunches and snacks
- A variety of toys at easy reach, including blocks and building toys, tactile toys, art supplies, dress-up costumes, tents, books, puppets, toys for pretend play, and tabletop toys
- A quiet space for preschoolers to rest and recharge
- Outdoor walks, activity, and playground time every day
- Regular excursions into our community
- Social and group skills and development
For more information about registering, or to book a tour, please contact us.